There are many different types of tall women; long legged, long bodied, slim, hourglass; and it’s important to work out what your specific shape is – if you don’t already know. Often tall women get labelled as one particular category, which can be frustrating and very confusing when it comes to creating a wardrobe.
Here are 10 style tips to help you choose the right clothing and accessories in accordance with your height.
1. Create layers to help balance your figure, for example, if you have a smaller bust, adding ruffle details and higher necklines will keep you in proportion, or if you have an undefined waist, pop on a layered high waisted skirt and a belt to cinch you in and mimic curves.
Wear knee-length or longer skirts: If you wear your skirt any shorter, your legs will appear even longer, which can quickly become unflattering. Dresses can be longer in length, the most flattering of which is floor-length.
2. Long bodies require shorter top lines and higher waist lines. Long legs need longer top lines and lower waist lines; so if you have a longer body than legs, invest in 50s style dresses and styles, but longer legs can layer long tops over jeans for a trendy day look.
Long blazers: Just because you are tall does not mean you want to do anything that will shorten your torso. Long tops and blazers are great for giving you a lean, well-put-together look.
3. Flats: While heels are often flattering footwear, if you want to avoid adding any more height to your frame, go with a pair of stylish flats. Pretty and comfortable ballerinas are the most important addition to your closet, as they will be perfect for everyday wear and will go with anything if you have them in a few different colors.
4. High top boots with flat heels: These boots are in high fashion right now and perfect for tall women. Though they are flat or have small heels, the high tops accentuate your height.
5. Color: Monochromatic outfits tend to be more flattering on tall women than bold colors. Consider keeping your outfit to mostly a one color family and add a colorful accessory like a fabric belt or a bold piece of fashion jewelry. If you decide to wear a belt, make sure it is a thin belt that does not clash with the other colors of your clothing.
6. Avoid tucking in your shirt: This tends to make your legs look longer. For a flattering lean look, keep your shirt untucked.
7. Wear your hair long or pull it into a high ponytail. These hairstyles look great with large, chunky fashion jewelry designed to draw attention to your face and beautiful long neck. The larger your bones, the bigger your jewelry; look at pictures of yourself in different kinds of jewelry; dainty and chunky and decide which makes you look more in proportion, as well as which makes you look more like ‘you’.
8. Long, chunky necklaces: Jewelry with large beads or heavy chains go great on a tall person.
9. Larger wallets for women: When you are selecting a handbag or wallet, keep proportion in mind again. A tiny purse or small wallet would not suit you. Besides, large handbags are in vogue so you have no excuse.
10. Tall women are really the only ones who can pull off couture looks and extraordinary shapes – over sized clothing looks awesome on taller ladies, bold stripe prints, printed tights, rompers/play-suits.
11. Fashion experts say that too much color for a tall figure can be overwhelming. Therefore, they advise a tall woman to wear several different colors. Wearing the same color of nylons as the skirt and shoe lengthens the leg, so if one wants to have the appearance of shorter legs, then one should wear a natural nylon color.